What would you like to read or see more of?

The Clog

This started as a blog about living abroad for 7 months, but the reality of getting a job has me talking about other topics while in between countries. (Above photo taken on return trip from Mexico, 2008. Looks like castles in the sky.)

Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2009

unidentified food

after surviving a hangover that could have killed hercules, i am finally able to get out and use thie internet. but i discover my new internet place is closed for a while for repairs (?) so i decide to go to the grocery store instead. on my way home, i stop at a roadside stand to buy rotisserie chicken, one of my favorite foods in any country. a few middle-aged men are inside drinking beers and eating some appetizers. one man dipped what looked like a piece of sausage into *farofa and handed it to me on a toothpick, asking if i knew what it was. but before he could get the name out in portuguese, i had already shoved it in my mouth, excited to try something new. the piece of inards was not a heart but a liver or perhaps tongue of some animal, probably a chicken, soft, dissolving in my mouth with a gamey flavor. it was probably the worst thing i have taasted since the fish eyeball. it stuck in the corners of my gums and teeth and i couldn~t get the flavor out of my mouth. but what is travel without trying new things?

*farofa- dry manioc flour, much like cornmeal but finely ground. sauteéd with butter and onions and used as a topping for meats and beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment