What would you like to read or see more of?

The Clog

This started as a blog about living abroad for 7 months, but the reality of getting a job has me talking about other topics while in between countries. (Above photo taken on return trip from Mexico, 2008. Looks like castles in the sky.)

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Romantic Language

Ever wonder why they call Latin languages "romantic"?

Let's begin with Italy. Remember that old black and white photograph with the woman being ogled by about 5 Italian men at once? Well, it's truth is one of the qualities that have kept it classic. I've been to Italy. They whistle. They cat call. They know no "subtle". They let you know that they are attracted to you. I had a conversation with a nice older man at his pizza place in Florence and we were talking about fidelity. He says, "yes, I have mistresses. But that doesn't mean I don't love my wife. I'm just realistic." I think about this statement for a few seconds. And it makes a little sense. But it's not romantic and it doesn't explain why the language is considered romantic. By the way, I don't support cheating. But if an open relationship is what it takes to live with your partner for the rest of your life, so be it.

Moving onto France...
Yes, it sure sounds alluring. I mean c'mon. I hear a French accent and my knees are weak. I imagine a man with sultry bedroom eyes whispering "I'm going to give you all the pleasure you can take" (only in French).

And what about Spanish? Well, I don't find the language attractive, but I have to say, I saw more gorgeous men per square mile in Spain than any place I have ever traveled, more than in Rio. And that's saying A LOT.

Then, then, there are the Brazilians.
The Brazilian men are supple and sexy, the language a cocktail of centuries of colonization. It's Portuguese, Dutch, African, German, Japanese and Indian. The softness and intonation is totally unique, sounding like a question is always being asked. But what makes it romantic, other than any other language, is how it translates.

In English, we say "I miss you". In Portuguese, you say "I am in deep longing", or "I feel your absence". In English, it's "I love you". In Portuguese, "I adore you". When you want to say farewell, you say in Portuguese, "I'm sorry for anything I have done, and thank you for everything". There is a Brazilian song who's words translate into "listen to my heart that beats to the rhythm of the drum of passion".

Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment