What would you like to read or see more of?

The Clog

This started as a blog about living abroad for 7 months, but the reality of getting a job has me talking about other topics while in between countries. (Above photo taken on return trip from Mexico, 2008. Looks like castles in the sky.)

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

"Life isn't one big party"

That's what my mother always used to tell me growing up, and it always put a damper on my day.
I never thought of every day as one big party, but it should be! It should be a celebration of life! What are we here for otherwise? Yes, some days are work. But within my contribution to the world, within that one trade I have to give in return for food and goods, I am still celebrating.

But today is one of those days where celebration didn't make it onto my google calendar. I came to Hualien to see the famous and majestic Taroko Gorge that is accessible by a bus ride and a long long hike where you are constantly watching for falling rocks and trying not to slip off the edge of a ridge. When you finally arrive, there are crystal blue hot springs and you can see the floor of the gorge and your feet on the ground through the water. Sounds like a party to me!!!! But not for me. Not this time. Mother nature has suppressed me by reminding me I'm not allowed to have fun. Not only can I not go into the water while menstruating, there are no bathrooms on the footpath for a long while. There would be nowhere to "attend" to Mother Nature.

Well, you won this time. But I'll be back into full swing before you can say "wet blanket".

No comments:

Post a Comment