What would you like to read or see more of?

The Clog

This started as a blog about living abroad for 7 months, but the reality of getting a job has me talking about other topics while in between countries. (Above photo taken on return trip from Mexico, 2008. Looks like castles in the sky.)

Search This Blog

Monday, September 5, 2011

I lied... and cooking and lifestyle in Pura Vida

Being in somewhat solitude DOES make one think. With access to Facebook, it allows you to keep in touch with people. Living in a house that's stocked like a bomb-shelter allows creativity, if the owner lets you use her supplies.

How does one end up where I am? How do I end up not working for a year or two on end?
#1. I work while I'm not traveling.
#2. mindmyhouse.com It gives you access to houses all over the world with owners who are looking for people to care for them for free. France, the Philippines, the Caribbean, wherever. I can't promote this site enough. And no, I'm not getting paid.
#3. There is a lifestyle change that has to take place, just as one changes when he/she wants to lose weight. It's not about what you can give up for a while. It's what you need to be fulfilled.

Could you live as a vagrant? I could live with running water, toilet paper and access to food. I'm exaggerating. You don't have to live as a vagrant to travel on a budget. You just have to give up the things that made you fulfilled before you realized that travel is the number one, with a bullet, way you want to spend your time.

Other people could have saved money all of their young lives to retire and buy a house in the Bahamas. I applaud anyone who has the patience to do that because it takes integrity, commitment, a bit of planning and sacrifice as well. But as a person with not much money, who will never be able to buy a house because I spend my money on travel, and will probably have to live as a fugitive, traveling with every last penny is the best thing I have ever done with my life.

The other day, I had a home-cooked Costa Rican meal. It was your basic rice, black beans, fried plantanes and fried cheese and steak with onions, but the woman who cooked for me (my house keeper) made tortillas out of a kind of instant masa and cooked them over my burner, then tore banana leaves from the garden and roasted them over the fire, then used them to keep the tortillas warm. These are the things that interest me. You don't see that living in the States.

I am learning about the "Pura Vida" lifestyle here. The people here are happy, which is why you don't see many CR immigrants in the States. The economy is good here, they work about 7 hours a day, it's beautiful and rent and housing is cheap. You can rent a place here for $160 a month. The food and sundries are not much cheaper than in the U.S. but you can live off of the beautiful land, which is what makes Costa Rica astounding. People raise cattle and use horses for transportation, along with cars and scooters. There are mango trees, coffee trees, fish to be caught and game to be hunted. This is a land of opportunity and it's a well-kept secret.

I just ate a huge grasshopper that I caught and fried. Not totally bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment