What would you like to read or see more of?

The Clog

This started as a blog about living abroad for 7 months, but the reality of getting a job has me talking about other topics while in between countries. (Above photo taken on return trip from Mexico, 2008. Looks like castles in the sky.)

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Beaches


I have heard the Caribbean beaches are nice. I'm sitting outside enjoying my view and the sounds of the tropics when I hear a voice from the top of the canyon yelling "REGINA!!!! WANT TO GO TO THE BEACH???!!!" It's Janet, and I reply, "GIVE ME 5 MINUTES!!" -Just enough time to change into my bathing suit, grab sunblock and sunglasses, flip flops and hike up the trail. Janet is spunky as ever, smoking a bowl as I get into the car. She has a cooler of rum and juice. That's my girl!

We take a 10 minute drive toward a part of the island called Esperanza, through winding roads flanked by lush green trees. We part onto a sandy road that leads to the waterfront, a wade cove with fallen coconuts, palm trees, white sand and light green shallow water. We're at Sun Bay Beach.

The sun is direct and the natural palms are just draped enough to provide some needed shade. The beach is vacant and we have an entire cooler of drinks to work on. Janel smokes another bowl then we both take a dip in the water, which is about 80 degrees. She swims clear to the other end of the beach while I stay near our things by the shore to make sure no one gets any funny ideas. The cops eventually come around on their buggies and I wave as they pass. Another day in paradise . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment