What would you like to read or see more of?

The Clog

This started as a blog about living abroad for 7 months, but the reality of getting a job has me talking about other topics while in between countries. (Above photo taken on return trip from Mexico, 2008. Looks like castles in the sky.)

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Occupying Time

To my surprise, I discovered a big box of paint, pens, paper, oil pastels, colored pencils, charcoal and a few blocks of wood for canvas. I found a recorder, some books, journals from past tenants with drawings and poetry. I know I finally have a way to occupy my time when the sun goes down and I'm only left with my thoughts and the stars. Rather than twiddling my thumbs, I can now paint! Many nights have been spent reading about the history of Vieques and the naval occupation during WW11. I also write, draw and paint. I simply watch the sun rise and set.

I am keenly familiar with the sounds of animals during the day and the symphony of sound from the bugs at night. Frogs hop, lizards jump and crawl, cockroaches skitter, mice are eaten by Milton, the cat. Wild horses rustle and stampede in the bushes out front, iguanas weigh heavilly on tree branches, momma and baby birds have their chirping lessons from sunrise to sunset. Crickets scream and mosquitos and bees buzz at polar octives.

No comments:

Post a Comment